Snow White’s Apple cupcakes
These apple cupcakes with a faux bite are clever to the core. Make a crateful to celebrate your child's birthday.
12 cupcakes baked in red paper or silicone cases
1 quantity of butter cream
Red and green food colouring
Red sugar sprinkles
Ready-made soft white icing (fondant - see tip)
Pure icing sugar
12 chocolate-covered licorice bullets or licorice rope cut into 2.5cm pieces, plus extra to decorate
125g (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
2 tablespoons milk
(12 standard cupcakes)
125g butter softened
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Cup (165g) castor sugar
1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
¾ cup (125m) milk
To make the 12 cupcakes
1. Preheat oven. Grease and line pan(s).
2. Using an electric mixer and a small bowl, beat butter, extract and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour and milk, in two batches.
4. Bake at 180°C or 160°C for fan forced for 20 minutes.
* Basic butter cream is also called vienna cream; the flavour can be varied by adding any extract or essence you like.
* Beat butter in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar, milk, then remaining icing sugar.
How to decorate
1. Carve a shallow, 2cm well in the top of each cupcake. Reserve a small amount of plain butter cream in a small bowl, to make a 4 apples with bites. Tint the remaining butter cream red with food colouring. Spread the tops of cupcakes with red butter cream, then coat them with red sugar sprinkles.
2. Dust a work surface with icing sugar. Wearing disposable gloves, knead green food colouring into a small piece of ready-made icing (fondant). Use licorice bullets for stems or mould licorice rope into stem shapes. Mould small pieces of the green icing into leaves, pinch them against the stems. Insert the stems into the cupcakes.
3. To make a bitten apple, spoon a small well from the side of the cupcake. Cover the well with reserved plain butter cream. Create the seeds using tiny bits of licorice.
Tip: To save time, you could use bought spearmint leaf lollies, or cut a green mallow bake (mini marshmallow) in half, then pinch one end into leaf shape, instead of colouring the white icing and shaping the leaves.
Top tips for parents planning a newborn photo session
Sophie from The Young Mummy writes a brutally honest letter to her former self, and reflects on her new life as a mum.
One mum shares her son's food and gut health story
mother and baby Our M&B writer Natasha Price was super excited to be able to interview @khloekardashian today. Of course a selfie was called for at the end of their chat! Khloe spilled the beans about the @kardashiankids range available at @bigwaustralia and what she loves most about being an aunt! Stay tuned for her full interview on our website 👌🏼🎀😘More from the team